It’s been a great year. Despite the headlines and in spite of a hostile, Republican supermajority in the Senate fighting against our values, our people, and our city at every turn — we actually accomplished a lot.
Better Futures for Our Children
- We secured an average 9% pay raise for Charlotte Mecklenburg School teachers.
- We created legislative flexibility for projects like Project LIFT and Beacon Initiative.
- We’ve supported historical black colleges and universities through funding in the General Assembly.
Criminal Justice Reform
- We passed Raise the Age to prevent children from serving adult sentences.
- We pushed for Ban the Box to prevent criminal records from automatically disqualifying job applicants.
- We reformed police body camera laws for accountability and transparency.
Jobs and Economic Growth
- We secured $350,000 for the Renaissance West Initiative.
- We secured $1 million in funding for our broken roads.
- We secured $25 million for the Charlotte Douglas International Airport.
We still have a lot of work ahead to keep moving Charlotte forward. We’re fighting every day for working families. We’re fighting for a better education system. We’re fighting for criminal justice reform. And we’re fighting for better jobs and economic mobility.